Sunday, April 14, 2013

Yicaraga


Adele had talked about going to "Yicaraga" for a long time. Pretty much as soon as David left back in January, she talked about going to join him almost every day. 

Our reunion with David outside of the airport in Nicaragua was simply awesome. I had Adele wearing her backpack leash, since I had Henry in the wrap and wanted to make sure I knew Adele was with me at all times as I also had to keep eyes on my luggage. I saw David through the window and felt a huge jerk as Adele lunged, trying to get to him as fast as she could. 

Sadly, as I mentioned in a previous blog, our first week in Nicaragua was one of the roughest times I've ever had with Adele. 

David was with us for a short 3 days, and we both noticed she was acting different. Looking back, I'm sure she was feeling sick, as the night before she had spent throwing up and a few days later after David left she resumed her vomiting. But what David and I noticed was how quiet she was. Our lively little girl who usually talks our ears off was hardly saying a word. And when she spoke, it was in the most hushed little voice.

Things got worse when David left. I think Adele was confused, after having just been reunited with her daddy. And I think there was some level of depression. And the sickness. And not to mention the culture shock that she was experiencing on some sort of child level. 

The food was different. The people looked different. The smells were different. The language was different. The cartoons on TV were different. Even Disney Junior on the internet was in Spanish. (I was looking for anything of comfort for her!)

I pride myself a little bit on knowing my little girl. Having spent almost every single day with her for her entire life, I realize that I often know exactly what it is she wants, needs, feels, reasons for behavior, etc.

Here's an example of that: when we first arrived in Nicaragua, we had plans to go to the market to pick out a new backpack for Adele. David and I told her we were going to do that, and yet she kept insisting "I don't need a backpack; I already have one" (she was referring to her "leash backpack" we use for traveling"). She kept telling us that we should get one for Henry instead. I agreed that would be a good idea. Finally after numerous conversations like this, David turned and asked "so what are we going to do? We aren't really going to get Henry a backpack". I told him to trust me, and just go with it. We walked around the market, seeing backpacks that had different characters on it. We talked about which one Henry might like. And then Adele spotted a small pink backpack with 3 Disney princesses on it. All of a sudden, the idea of getting a backpack for Henry was completely gone. She had to have that backpack. So we got her the backpack, and David later turned to me and said "you knew that was going to happen, didn't you?" And I just smiled because I did know that was going to happen. I know my girl. 

That first week in Nicaragua, Adele was so different that I felt like I didn't even know her. It was sort of a scary thing for me. I felt helpless, and didn't know how to help my little girl snap out of her funk.

What happened after that first week set some great foundations for the rest of our time down in Nicaragua. Adele is a girl who likes routine. She also likes people. And she attaches herself to people and places fiercely. 

So we made our condo feel just like home. We made new friends and hung out with them often. I found foods that were well-balanced and let her eat the exact same thing every day for each meal. We danced...a lot. We created new routines, sticking to the same basic schedule each day and ending each evening with a trip to visit a Nicaraguan home across the street for a treat before bed. 

dancing!

Hanging out at our condo, singing

Getting her nightly treat!

By the time David came back, we had stories to tell him. People to introduce him to. Places to take him to. 

Adele experienced some huge personal growth in Nicaragua. From things like putting her face underwater for the first time, to giving hugs to grown Nicaraguan men that she had befriended, to confidently speaking her few Spanish words, to trying new foods (lobster!), she seemed to return to the USA having allowed herself to truly be immersed in a new future and environment.

And she is excited to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment