Sunday, December 14, 2014

Christmas reflection

Christmas is a great time for reflection, isn't it?

Recently I was asked on a couple different occasions to envision myself as part of the nativity scene. I was asked to reflect upon the different characters and try to figure out which one I identified most with. Would it be the excitement of the angel, presenting the news about the birth of Jesus? Would it be the curiosity of a shepherd? A camel, who had a heavy load to carry?

And yet, I could never get past Mary. That may seem obvious, as a mother, to identify with the mother in the story. Some of the feelings seem very natural for me to identify with - the dread of the pain that childbirth would bring, the wonder and amazement of seeing my child enter the world, and the fear of being a good mother and bearing that responsibility to raise my child right.

I know the Christmas story quite well. I grew up doing advent calendars and hearing the Bible stories. But I recently read something that hit me a little differently than before. I read a verse I must have seen many times, and yet don't remember very much.

After Mary gave birth to Jesus, and after the shepherds had come to see the baby, Luke 2:19 says this: "Mary treasured up all these things, and pondered them in her heart."

What a beautiful picture of the Christmas story. A young mother, with her tiny newborn baby, feeling overwhelmed and scared and amazed and exhausted.

But what does Mary do? She treasured those moments, and pondered them in her heart.

And then I got it. This is the reason I identify most with Mary.

I am way too busy over the Christmas season. Too many projects, too many activities, too many errands to run. And yet, in the busyness of it all, I want to make sure to be like Mary.

My kids are young and adorable and bright-eyed and filled with wonder. They love Christmas songs, decorating the house, seeing Christmas lights, watching Christmas movies, and reading Christmas books. They eat Christmas goodies, get dressed up for Christmas parties, and sang beautifully and off-key for the Christmas production at church.

And I can't help but treasure up all these things and ponder them in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment