Today is Adele's 3 year birthday. I wasn't sure exactly how to write a blog that summarized who Adele is. So I decided to write her a letter instead.
Dear Adele,
Happy Birthday, my sweet daughter! You are beautiful, sensitive, caring, loving, helpful, respectful, obedient, energetic, spunky, and so incredibly funny.
I remember so clearly the day you were still in my tummy and I found out we were going to have a girl. I was thrilled, and so excited to see ways that you would be like your daddy and me.
I remember just as well the day you were born. You were so tiny and fit so snug on my chest. I wanted to bundle you up and never let you go.
I did have to share you a lot those first few months. All of our friends in Costa Rica couldn't get enough of holding you, and everyone oohed and ahhed over each new facial expression you displayed. Once you met your grandparents and aunts and uncles over Christmas, they too wanted to take turns holding you, bathing you, and taking naps with you.
My heart melted the first time you smiled at me. And when you started giggling, I spent a lot of time making silly faces and trying to get you to keep giggling.
You showed your energetic, playful self early. You loved it when we held you upside down. You giggled the hardest when Daddy would bounce you on his lap, or toss you up in the air. And you loved to dance. We spent a lot of time playing music loudly and dancing around our apartment.
We also saw glimpses of your particular, independent self shine through. You hated to be cold, didn't like water to get in your eyes, and quit using any pacifier just because your favorite one had a hole in it.
I have been amazed at how smart you are. You learned quickly how to crawl, walk, and talk, memorize songs, recognize letters, and make up songs of your own.
You are extremely loving and caring. You are gentle with animals, and look out for babies and kids littler than you. I was so excited for you to have a baby brother and see you adapt into the role of a big sister. You have excelled in this new role. The way you comfort Henry, make him smile and laugh, and let him love on you is so sweet.
And you are the best daughter we could have ever asked for. You challenge the rules in a very appropriate way, exploring your independence. And yet you are very respectful and obedient, as you listen to Daddy and me very well.
It was a different kind of love that I learned about when I gave birth to you, and that love continues to grow in huge ways every day as we play, read books, work on crafts, hold conversations, and simply spend time together.
I love you so very, very much.
-Mommy


Birthdays are not just for our children, they are remembrance days for mommies, too. The Lord has blessed you with this precious little girl. Happy Birth Day, Sarah.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful keepsake for Adele. Beautiful letter for a very special little girl from her equally special mommy. I love you both.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with Rhonda. Happy "Birth" day Sarah!
~Cindi
WHAT A LOVELY THANG TO SAY SHE IS SO SPECIAL I AM GLAD THAT WE ARE RELATED SO HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET LITTLE ADELE
ReplyDeleteFROM YOUR COUSIN SUSAN