Wednesday, May 8, 2013

"Why?"

In one of my Nicaragua posts I wrote about how looking back on past events has the potential of only triggering positive memories.

That thought holds true in so many ways with kids.

I can actually look back on pictures of my kids a year ago and get slightly emotional, remembering how cute they were. I'm obviously blocking out the memories of sleepless nights as Henry was an infant, or the attempts to get Adele to eat new foods.

Even funnier is that I can look back at pictures from a week ago and think to myself that I hope my kids never grow up and stay little and cute forever. I'm obviously blocking out the times during the last week that Henry was clingy and fussy, or that Adele threw a tantrum over her food not being placed the exact right way on her plate.

I think it's why older people always talk about how they wish they could go back to the day their own kids were 2 or 3 year olds. They are remembering the cute things their kids said. Or the fun questions their kids asked. Or the cute clothes they used to dress their kids up in.

They are probably forgetting the ways their kids discovered their independence. The hours it took to get any menial task completed. The way their houses were never clean.

I am sure I will be one of those older people. My kids are the best. They are funny, smart, adventurous, and the cutest kids in the whole world. I can say that now because I am enjoying a cup of coffee while they are both sleeping for my their much-needed naptime.

These are thoughts I will need to remember later, when I am praying for patience. Because...

Adele is in the "why?" stage.

It's not just "why", it's her questioning everything. Who is that? Where is she going? What are they buying? What did I want for dinner? When is it going to rain? Will my teacher be at school tonight? Why didn't so-and-so show up today? Was he sick? What did he get sick from? Who is that (dancer on DWTS)? Is she going to dance again? Why did she choose that dancing dress? 

And so on...

As you can imagine, most questions she asks me could be answered with I DON'T KNOW.

As if that could suffice. Oh no, my daughter never accepts a simple "I don't know" answer. That is followed up with "but you haaaaave to know. I waaaaant you to know".

Sometimes I think I might lose my mind because I just can't make up anything else today.

Thank goodness for cute pictures, that I can look at and forget about losing my mind and just remember  how awesome my kids are.






2 comments:

  1. maybe I should start posting stories of how wonderful my daughters were or the cute things they said..or the all the times I wondered why they wouldn't go to sleep? Just as Mary pondered all these things in her heart, so did I , my sweet Sarah. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...your kids are awesome. :) -Angie

    ReplyDelete