Sunday, June 16, 2013

DNA

Today in church we talked about DNA, and how genes get passed along. How everyone has a story. And that story includes a person's past.

I've had a few more interpreting jobs at the mental health clinic and mental health hospital lately. I really really enjoy those appointments. Not only is it a good chance to use my Spanish, but it's a way of connecting with people. Hearing their stories.

As you can imagine, the people who I'm interpreting for at the mental health clinic and hospital have complicated stories. Their stories always include their past, which almost always goes back to problems associated with their parents. Stories of abuse. Abandonment. How they are trying to cope with their past in the present, attempting to live normally, often as parents themselves.

Today, as we celebrate Father's Day, I'm thankful for good DNA. I'm thankful that I have a father who passed along good parenting genes. He was a good example of being an involved, active, loving father in my life as a child and currently as an adult. I'm thankful for a good father-in-law, who passed along equally good genes to my husband. He too was a good example as a supportive, caring, involved father.

I'm thankful for my husband, the father of my kids. The guy who, through his actions, encourages and motivates me to be a better mother and wife to our kids.

I'm thankful our kids have that as their fatherly example.









No comments:

Post a Comment