Saturday, May 17, 2014

Memories in music

On our last long drive back home from Iowa, everyone in the car was asleep except for me, as I was the one driving. I had my ipod playing and headphones in, and listening to my playlist entitled "favorites."

Songs have a way of conjuring up old hidden memories, don't they? Sometimes I will hear a song and get totally lost in it, overcome by thoughts and emotions tied to a particular person or event.

Every now and then I go through my playlists, with good intentions to delete some songs, and find that I just can't do it. The songs bring a smile to my face or make my tears well up with tears as I belt out songs off-key, behind the comfort of my headphones.

Some songs may very well be forever part of my "favorites" playlist. Songs like "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show, which takes me back to the campfire I stumbled upon in California at an outdoor education retreat where hippies were sitting around singing that song - exactly how I imagined it in my head.

And then there's "Canción para la Navidad" by José Luis Peralta, which I love playing every Christmas (and sometimes other times of the year), because it takes me back to the campfire with our neighbors in Costa Rica where we sat around sitting Spanish Christmas songs.

The song "China Roses" by Enya instantly takes me back to high school, when I would listen to that song on repeat doing homework in my room.

The "Elephant Love Medley" from Moulin Rouge takes me back to my coaching days at Iowa Christian Academy and driving some of my players to practice after school.

"Love Generation" by Bob Sinclair reminds me of all the movie commercials in Costa Rica.
Walking on Sunshine takes me back to basketball games in college.

"Scarborough Fair" by Simon and Garfunkel takes me back to elementary school, when I first started loving their songs and haven't stopped since.

"Smashing Pumpkins'" 1979 brings back high school memories when I would belt that song on my really cool Discman.

I can still quote every other word of the chorus to "Breakfast at Tiffany's", knowing my sister is somewhere far away quoting the opposite words.

"When I Look Into Your Eyes" takes me back to awkward dancing at middle school dances.

"You Don't Treat Me Good No More" by Sonia Dada takes me back to 8th grade.

And the entire album of Ace of Base instantly brings me back to 5th grade, hanging out at Courtney Strutt-Todd's house in the pool.

There are many, many more. And yes, all are on my "favorites" playlist.

I'm pretty sure that years down the road, many "Frozen" songs will be a part of my playlist and tears will fill my wrinkled eyes as I remember this time in life that my kids were so young and I would sit in their room at night, waiting for them to fall asleep while each randomly sang along (half-asleep) with Anna and Elsa. Which is exactly the scene right now as I type this blog entry.

I am always adding new playlists...but my "favorites", that's where the memories are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment