Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Costa Rica beginning

A young married couple from Point Loma Nazarene University is the new Field Station Managers of QERC down in Costa Rica. They headed down to start the new job just a few days ago. Before they left, they came over for dinner with us.

We talked their ears off.

We couldn't help ourselves. A chance to talk to people about the job of managing QERC? Living in the cloud forest? Traveling around Central America? Our neighbors and dear friends in the valley? How to survive as a married couple in the midst of a different culture while running a study abroad program? Spanish? Food?

As I said, we talked their ears off.

After dinner and a time of sitting around talking and sharing stories, David gave them an out and offered to take them back to the place they were staying. I kindly mentioned they didn't have to leave and we could continue to talk as long as they wanted, or even show them pictures. They perked up at the mentioning of pictures.

They didn't realize that pictures meant four large scrapbooks each representing one year of our time there.

Costa Rica is a special place for David and me. It always will be.

I'm thrilled that this new couple gets to begin their own journey at QERC. May their years be full of laughter, funny culture shock stories, adventure, flexibility, and lots of personal growth. I'm excited for them.

And extremely jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment