Thursday, May 24, 2012

Retirement

My dad retired today. He's been talking about retiring for years now. When it was going to happen, what he would do with his time, etc. It seems like it's been a long time coming, but now that it's here, it's strange. I called him today for the last time on his work phone, and then deleted one of the first numbers I'd ever memorized forever from my phone.

I can't imagine how he's feeling.

He began his job 34 years ago at the Principal Financial Group as an actuary. At the time, I'm not sure he could even imagine that the day would come that he would be finished at his job. Lots has changed. With his job, no doubt, but with his life as well. He now has four grown daughters, two sons-in-law, and four grandchildren.

Here's the thing: I'll be honest, I still don't completely understand fully what an actuary does. But I do know this - my dad is an incredible man. He's dedicated, hard-working, and cares way more for his family than he does for himself. What I know of my dad is that he loves sports, is a fantastic coach, enjoys being outside and working in his yard, he is very supportive and loving, and he has provided more for me than I could ever thank him for.

For the first time in a very long time, my dad won't have to get up and go to work. What will he do with his new-found freedom? I don't know. But I'm thrilled for him and so excited to see what the future holds.

I love you, Dad!




No comments:

Post a Comment