Ever been on a flight with one of those kids that just won't stop screaming? I'm pretty sure we all have.
Remember my post about me not being a kid person? While I was never drawn to kids in particular, those that cried were worse. And those that cried on a plane while I was trying to sleep or listen to music? The worst.
However...I am now a mother. A mother who flies on an airplane. With kids.
Any mean glance I might have thrown in the crying kid's direction, any disgruntled sigh I might have let out...I take it all back. I apologize for my annoyed attitude.
Adele has been on many flights in her young life. Living out of the country, taking visa renewal trips to other countries, visiting our home country, and having family who live in Washington and Iowa have all contributed to her experience on an airplane. Henry has now been on two flights. So far, my kids have been awesome.
However, I have been that-mother-with-the-crying-kid once. I purposely kept nursing Adele through our visit back to Costa Rica when she was 16 months old. With a number of flights, a couple of them a little longer, nursing was an easy way to make sure her ears did ok and that she was comforted. A few weeks after our trip to Costa Rica, I quit nursing. And a few weeks after that, I took an unplanned trip to visit my family.
If you recall, Adele gave up her pacifier at 6 months old. Without the comforts of nursing or a pacifier, flights were a bit of a challenge at this point in her life. She did well for 3 out of those 4 flights. The last flight she had fallen asleep (whew) but then woke up during the descent. I couldn't do anything for my sleepy little girl - not even get up and rock her. I tried giving her juice, rocking her as best as I could from my seat...but she still cried for about 10 minutes.
Those 10 minutes felt more like 45 minutes.
Some people tried to help, and some gave sympathetic looks. And some glared.
Flying on a plane with kids is stressful. Probably most mothers would avoid flying with their young kids if they had other travel options. But sometimes it's unavoidable.
On one of our flights back to the US from Costa Rica when Adele was really little, she did great but there was another baby crying loudly for a long time. We all breathed a sigh of relief to get off the plane. But I felt badly for the mother. She received many annoyed looks, both on and off the plane as we waited for our luggage. One young girl even said to her friends "If I ever have kids, I am never flying until they are old enough not to act like that!"
I wonder if she held true to that statement.
On many of our flights around the US when Adele was younger, she received lots of comments when we first got on the plane. Comments like "You're cute; I hope you behave yourself!" or "Hi there, are you about ready for a nap?" And I received comments like "So is she going to be a good little girl?" or "Are you going to be able to keep her quiet?" Adele always smiled at them, and I simply said "I hope so!"
We have two flights left in a few weeks until we get back to Oklahoma. I will do my absolute best to keep my kids happy and quiet. Nobody likes a crying kid on an airplane - especially the mother, as I've learned.
Here's hoping to a happy toddler and a sleeping baby!
I think the most appropriate response to those passive aggressive people who ask if you can keep your baby quiet should go something like this: "Well, if adults haven't learned to control their inappropriate comments/questions, I hardly expect a child to control themselves either." Get prepared. :-)
ReplyDeleteI figure that at some point, I'm going to end up being "that mom." You know -- "that mom" who can't control her kids at the grocery store or out to eat or on an airplane. You do what you can (and if your kid is always acting up, then you should reevaluate), but sometimes, kids cry.
ReplyDeleteBut then again, I'm the one who always liked kids, even when they were crying. But if some crazy ownder can't keep his/her dumb dog from jumping up on me...!!
*owner
Delete