Sunday, July 1, 2012

One of those days

I'm not cut out to be a single mom.

Two weeks have now passed since David left. Two down, seven to go until we see him again.

Most of our days have been good. I couldn't be prouder of my kids. They are adapting to change, staying positive (mostly), sleeping well, eating well, and enjoying life.

Yesterday was a rougher day.

The morning started off with Adele being extra clingy, needing my attention, more whiny than usual. She's never been super jealous of Henry, but since David left, I've seen that side of her come out a little bit more. I assume it is because she is getting less attention overall, as there is only one of me to divide my attention between the two kids without David to help give attention where needed.

Last week I stayed up a little later one evening. The next day I was a little more tired, and found myself having a little less patience with the kids. I realized that it wasn't fair to them. That they don't deserve a mom who is cranky, impatient, or snippy.

Some days are long for me in Oklahoma as well - my kids aren't perfect all the time. But just at the point I am not sure I can speak another loving word to my kids without a hint of biting attitude behind it, David is there to step in and take over. The same happens to him. We team up, and work well together.

Two weeks down, seven to go.

Yesterday morning I planned on doing all my laundry, cleaning up my room upstairs, picking up the downstairs, and getting myself and the kids all ready to go to a wedding.

When the kids nap at the same time, I often split my time between getting something accomplished and sitting and putting my feet up (and blogging). When Henry naps and Adele is up, I split my time between playing with her and getting something accomplished. When both are awake...those can be busy times!

After getting up, getting breakfast for Adele and me, nursing and changing Henry, and getting him down for a morning nap, it was obvious that Adele needed me. So we snuggled. We sat on the couch, turned on a show, and just took some time to snuggle.

She loved it.

The rest of the morning/day was a frenzy, but I think she and I both knew we needed time to just sit and snuggle for a bit. It didn't change the fact that since Adele didn't get her full nap yesterday, she continued to be a little more whiny than usual. And Henry was needy. And I was tired. But we enjoyed those few minutes, and made it through the day.

I struggled most of the day. I felt myself being less patient. Unfortunately for those around me, I worked as hard as I could to give my kids all the patience I had. I didn't have much left for anyone else.

Two weeks down, seven to go.

Today is a new day. It started off with Adele coming up to me spontaneously and giving me a kiss on the cheek saying, "I love you Mommy. And I miss Daddy." Me too, kid.

And I'm so thankful I'm not a single parent.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HANG in there!! I've been there. Call on Jesus, He will make up the difference when you run short. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete