Thursday, August 23, 2012

Moving day!

I really dislike change. I like for things to stay the same. Don't get me wrong, I like traveling, or experiencing new things. But I like to go back to "normal".

We've had a lot of changes over the years.

David and I are adventurous people, for the most part. We love to travel. See the world. Live in a new culture. But after living in Costa Rica for a number of years, we also realized we were getting to a point in life where we wanted to "settle".

That was the plan, anyway.

So we moved back to the USA in the fall of 2010. We spent some good time with my family in Iowa. Then we moved our belongings that we had stored in Iowa up to Washington, where we moved in with David's family. We had all intentions of staying in the northwest, so we camped out in the basement of David's parents' house while we got grad school endeavors all figured out.

And then we moved to Oklahoma.

(That was not part of the original plan.)

But Oklahoma was a great option. And we moved into our rental house that we thought would be our home for at least a few years.

Tomorrow we move again.

We used to joke that if we found a better rental, we'd consider moving after the first year into something we liked better (or that had a better landlord). Then we'd laugh and talk about how much we dislike moving.

After being apart as a family this summer, and traveling to our families and being away from our home in Oklahoma, we were anxious to get back to "normal".

Adele doesn't like change either. Last year when we moved to Oklahoma, she began having night terrors based on stress, related to all the changes in her life. David and I felt awful, and did our best to try to help her emotionally and set up a home.

We are not looking forward to moving this weekend. But we are looking forward to setting up a new home. We still maintain that Oklahoma probably won't be our permanent home. David and I are kind of partial to mountains, so moving out west/northwest is still what we would hope for in the future.

We have no idea how long we will be in Oklahoma. But as long as we are here, we want to BE here. Not only for us, but for Adele. And for Henry. So we will "settle" here, and create the best home possible.

Here's to a good moving weekend. And to our new home.


No comments:

Post a Comment