Friday, August 10, 2012

Sleep talk

This summer as we've been traveling and visiting family, Adele has slept in my room the whole time. She had been doing a good job sleeping in her pack and play, but she has now crept up into my bed and seems to never want to leave.

And she talks in her sleep.

While I understand 95% of what she says during the day, her sleep talk is a bit more jumbled as she barely mumbles out sentences. Sometimes I'll catch a name - one of her cousins, or another family member. Other times I'll hear the smile in her voice as she practically giggles.

The best was when I caught a full sentence that she called out in the middle of the night a few weeks ago - "I need my coffffeeeee!"

I do know where she gets it from.

When David gets particularly tired, he will also talk in his sleep. It often comes in the form of a question. I learned long ago to answer that question, no matter how little of the question I understand. If I ask "what?" he only gets frustrated and asks louder. I still hardly understand him. So I've learned that whatever the question may be, I need to answer confidently, so he'll roll over and go back to sleep.

I realized what I was getting into a long time ago.

On our wedding night, in the middle of the night, I rolled over and cuddled up to my new husband in bed (who I didn't know was fast asleep).

He responded to my cuddling (rather sharply, I might add), "don't touch me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment