Friday, September 21, 2012

Dinnertime!

There were evenings, long ago, when dinnertime was relaxing. Dull, some might say.

When David and I lived in Costa Rica, we had many nights during the off-season where it was a quiet time, just the two of us. We would take our dinner and sit in front of the TV, and casually watch while we chatted the whole evening. We had many quiet evenings, entertaining each other by coming up with interesting conversation topics - ranging from visions and dreams for the future of QERC to gremlins.

Times have changed.

We have two very different children, and both equally demanding and, well...loud during dinner.

On one side we have Adele. She's never been a big eater, and always been fairly picky. It is simply the best when she will surprise us and eat an entire meal. Half the battle is getting her to try the food. These days she is completely obsessed with eating crackers before nap and bed, so a consequence for not trying the food on her plate is going without crackers for the day. (Funny how it works, too. Over crackers.)

On the other side we have Henry. Equally as noisy, but in a different way. That little chubbers is obviously not lacking in food, and yet still can't seem to get enough. We have introduced solids simply because he was acting so desperate to get the food off our plates. As to be expected, he's done well.

The bonus of Adele not eating much as a baby was not having to clean up a huge mess. I really dislike messy eating. And Henry is messy.


Henry actually wants food so badly that if I'm not quick enough with the spoon, he results in sucking on his high chair.


Anyone who would ever think of our quiet dinners in Costa Rica as dull is a fool. I would probably describe an evening like that as peaceful. Or glorious.

Or heavenly.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. Oh, how I laughed. I remember how you didn't want to be around anyone who chewed with their mouth opened or slurped their food or were...messy. :) And while I didn't like the occasional battle, I miss those dinner times of several people talking at once and the banter back and forth. I especially miss Katie, throwing back her head and saying,
    "I LUB this family!"
    I love you, Sarah Ba-Darah. You're a great mom.

    ReplyDelete