Monday, October 8, 2012

Pretend birthdays

Since February, Adele seems to think that just about every other day is her birthday. I'm not totally sure where it came from, but I did think she'd grow out of it by now.

Often her birthday pops up in conversation when she's particularly happy. She'll mention the fact that her birthday party is coming up, or that she had a birthday yesterday, or that later today it will be her birthday. She's usually 4 years old at that birthday party too.

Adele is starting to figure out that in November she will turn 3 years old...but that hasn't totally stopped the comments of today being her birthday.

The birthday even pops up in random conversations at the grocery store. Last week we passed another mom with her young daughter in the cart. The little girl and Adele struck up a conversation about birthdays after the mom and I figured out that her daughter just turned 3 and mine was almost 3. The other little girl invited Adele to her birthday party (which took place a few weeks ago). Adele responded by saying she too was having a party "today" (I explained it would be in November) and that she is "4 years old" (I had to clarify she would be turning 3).

It's especially confusing for her when it really is someone else's birthday. This has happened many times since February - it will be a family member's birthday and we'll call them to wish them happy birthday, and Adele will expect them to wish her a happy birthday in response. If that person doesn't happen to wish her a happy birthday (obviously), Adele gets a sad face and says to me "but so-and-so didn't wish me a happy birthday" and I have to explain to so-and-so that it's Adele's birthday today too.

Last week, David's parents came to visit. Since we won't see them again until Christmas, they brought birthday presents for her and we held a "pretend birthday" for Adele last weekend. Adele was thrilled to have cupcakes and have people sing "happy birthday" to her and open gifts.

Today we finished off the last of the cupcakes and Adele waited to eat hers until David and I agreed to sing her "happy birthday" again. And when we started to sing, she stopped us and asked for a candle to blow out at the end of the song.

That girl loves her birthdays.

Here are some pictures of the pretend birthday and a few others of our time with Nanny and Popa Hille.

Getting ready for her gifts

Blowing her candles out

Trying out her new birthday gift

Helping Nanny paint her bedroom

 Popa teaching Henry to crawl

Reading books with Nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment