So life is a little busy these days...but I wanted to do my own 30 days of thanks. There's no way I could have kept up with doing a post a day on facebook or on this blog (hence the December post...) so here they are. In no particular order.
My husband. David is my other half, partner in life, my bestest friend. He keeps me striving to be better, keeps me grounded, and keeps me laughing.
My kids. They are awesome. I have a hard time believing there are better kids than mine. They are smart, creative, active, and sassy.
Fall/early winter in Oklahoma. The nice weather makes up for the other three seasons here (Unbearably Hot, Tornado, and Ice season).
My sisters. Emily, with whom I get to share this motherhood adventure; Rachel, with whom I share good conversation and quirky personality traits; and Katie, with whom I share environmental ideas and social justice passions.
Costa Rica. The country where I studied abroad, met my husband, gave birth to my first child, learned the majority of my Spanish, broadened my world view, and met great friends.
My parents. They show me extreme generosity, as well as continued love and support, and pass that love and care on to my kids.
Christmas music. I love it. It makes me happy and I shamelessly say I will randomly play it all year long.
Pinterest. It inspires me and draws out any creative juices that flow through me.
My in-laws. They have always welcomed me into their family, accepted my quirkiness, and treated me like a daughter.
My sisters-in-law. Jordan, who is the most selfless person I know; and Jenna, who lives vivaciously and passionately.
Old friends. Jane, who I will always feel a connection to as my oldest friend from Kindergarten. Angie, my forever friend and no matter how long in between conversations we go, we always reconnect on a deep level. Theresa, who is like my sister - nuff said. Laura, who has a worldview even bigger than mine. And many more.
Our church. They welcome us, and never stop looking out for us.
Skype. Allowing my kids to stay better connected to their extended family, and helps us stay in close communication with David as he does his research in Nicaragua.
Our home. After some crazy times renting from a not-so-nice lady, we own this house. And it is small and comfortable for our little family.
Northwestern College. Gave me a great college experience, met some lifelong friends, and made great memories.
Project Free TV. Allows David and me to unwind from the day by watching our favorite TV shows on the computer, rather than sticking to the nightly scheduled TV programs.
Local businesses. Those that are still able to survive without being overtaken by big-boxed stores.
Coffee. Some days I'm not sure I could live without it. Most days I simply love being able to sit for 5 minutes and truly enjoy it.
Our car. After a long search, we found a great used car that we could pay cash for. We get excellent mileage, at times getting 49 miles to the gallon.
Slippers. I learned to love and rely on them while living in Costa Rica and having only tile for the floor, and continued my love for them upon returning to the States.
Fair-trade businesses. They look out for the people who are truly MAKING the product you are buying.
Work. I am thankful for the opportunity to use my Spanish to interpret for those who need assistance at a doctor's office, a psychiatrist appointment, or in the mental health hospital. Not only does it provide some much-needed income, but I love the chance to connect with Spanish-speaking people.
David's grad school experience. Sometimes we wonder what in the world we are doing in Oklahoma...and then we remember what brought us here in the first place and I am thankful David has such a great advisor and school experience at OU.
Tuesday Girls. A group that meets once a month, gives me the chance to hang out with a group of girls, eat good food, and hear some share their stories.
The library. Our library here is awesome. It's got an entire LARGE section blocked off for kids, with tables full of educational toys, puzzles, computers for kids, and programs that Adele loves.
Zumba. The chance for me to work out, sweat, and have fun.
The USA. It has provided numerous opportunities, including the chance to get a good education, and travel to many countries around the world.
Organic products. They help take care of our land, and look out for the health of the workers.
PBS. While we try not to watch too much TV in our house, I am still thankful for the kids' programs that help educate Adele and teach her valuable life lessons.
All the things I take for granted. Food. My sight. Healthy kids. Heat on a cold day; air conditioning on a hot day. My mental health. And so forth.....
I am truly thankful.
Outstanding list...and not just cuz I'm on it. [Thank you.] What a privilege to know you. -Angie
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful for the memories and friendship we have shared over the last 27 (YIKES!) years. And I'm thankful for your blog. Each post makes me smile.
ReplyDeleteIt's true, your posts make me smile. But also cry. Love you!
ReplyDelete