My dear friend Theresa once told me that having a kid was like watching your heart out in the open, walking around with little legs on it.
That mental image has stuck with me ever since she said that.
I picture my real heart, exposed and obviously headless, walking around. (It's actually sort of a weird gruesome image in my head.)
Being a parent is tough stuff. It's also extremely rewarding. I love the impromptu hugs, kisses, snuggles, etc. I really don't like the scrapes, bruises, bonks, and crashes - like when Henry fell into the side of a door last night and ended up with a big knot and gash on his head, or when Adele fell off her kitchen set today and ended up with a big knot and bruise on her leg.
So where's the balance between letting the kids be kids and still keeping them from getting hurt too badly? (That's a rhetorical question - I know the best parenting move, obviously, is to wrap my kids in bubble wrap and never let them leave the house EVER.)
I'm sure parenting will get easier the older they get........
hahaha...easier? remember, a ship at harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. And it doesn't matter the age of your children, a mama still a mama and wants a hug or kiss from their child.
ReplyDeleteSarah, you are a good mom and good daughter. I love you
I agree with the bubble wrap :) Don't doubt that there are days I'm ready to try it!.. but make sure you leave a hole so they can still breath ok:)
ReplyDeleteI hear you! When a simple bump or bruise can hurt a mama's heart, I can't help but think about all those parents out there whose children are hurt in more severe ways. Deciding to have kids is definitely a risk and a test - but it's one crazy decision I'm glad we've made!
ReplyDeleteyep, i'm good with bubble wrap too...great idea. -Angie
ReplyDelete