This blog probably won't ALWAYS be about my kids. But they're the most entertaining things in my life right now, and consume most of my time and energy (blog aside). And who knows, if Adele turns out to be funny her whole life, maybe I'll blog about her until she's old and I'm ancient.
So Adele loves bugs. I blame David. It all started here:
David took an Entomology class this last fall, and since he had a bug collection, Adele in turn loved collecting the bugs. She "helped" Daddy catch the bugs with her own net, and she "helped" Daddy pin the bugs. When he was finished with his collection, he gave Adele the leftover bugs that he didn't use and she was allowed the entertainment of playing with them:
Some days it got a bit out of hand - Adele even took a few small jars of bugs with her to sleep when she went down for naps.
Now that it's spring and the bugs have returned, so has her love for them. Ever since it's been nice outside, we hang out in the backyard and she'll start digging in the dirt calling "Bu-ugs, where are you!"
This weekend I heard a sweet sing songy voice calling out from the living room "Come here fly, I want to hold you!" as I watched Adele chase the fly around the living room. I admit, that was pretty cute - especially when she actually did catch it and was so surprised she looked in her hand to see if it was truly there - thus releasing it, and beginning the chase again.
I don't mind the bugs, but I wouldn't say that I enjoy them. There are certain creepy crawlies in particular that I would go so far as to say I dislike. Spiders and cockroaches are among them. My sweet, cute daughter sees no difference between a roly-poly and a cockroach.
While I don't particularly like certain creepy crawlies, I also won't kill them. Last week I saw a largish cockroach scampering across the kitchen floor. So I did what normal, rational people do - I trapped it under a glass and was planning on waiting for David to come home and take care of it. I didn't count on Adele. A few minutes later, I heard a squeal and a yell "Mommy I found a bug!" I managed to trap it again, but she was relentless - we couldn't just leave it there, we had to save it and let it go outside. I couldn't even convince her with the whole "Daddy-will-love-it-we-should-save-it-so-he-can-see-it" bit I tried to throw at her. So we figured out a way to get some thick paper under the glass and carry it outside and save the cockroach.
And yesterday, David and I were playing games with some friends at our house. All of a sudden Adele comes up to me and says "yook what I found!" She had a spider crawling on her hand that she had picked up. What came out of my mouth next was something along these lines: "That is so neat honey, go show Daddy. Daddy she has a SPIDER on her hands. Go show Daddy honey. Daddy did you hear me? It's a SPIDER." I said all of that really fast.
I'm trying my hardest to encourage her love of bugs. Someday she'll be able to see through me.


This is hilarious. Sorry to hear you have cockroaches in Oklahoma, too... good thing I didn't send any in the care package, then. :-)
ReplyDeleteSo... good thing Adele is ok with bugs cause James hates them. I'm glad that she will be able to protect him.
ReplyDelete