I have a wonderful father.
There are two things I think of when I think of my dad: sports and Colorado. I'm not sure I've ever seen him more passionate about life than when it involves sports and Colorado.
My dad was my coach forever. He taught me to dribble a basketball, bat left-handed, correctly field a softball, shoot a lay-up, and be the best athlete I could be. Though he wasn't my coach for track, he loved cheering me on at track meets and timing my races. And while he didn't used to be too knowledgeable about volleyball, he grew to love the sport and understand rules like double hits and back row attacks.
But I remember many, many, many weekends of softball tournaments in the hot summer with my dad as the coach on base, signing when to steal and bunt. And I remember even more weekend basketball tournaments, when we used to joke that I was going to have a second bellybutton because my dad get on his knees to be at my eye level and poke me, pushing me to play defense better or be more aggressive with my shot.
And my dad loves family vacations in Colorado. He loves to spend free time planning the next family vacation, dreaming of hikes to take, which days we'll drive around Rocky Mountain National Park, where we'll eat, and which animals he hopes to see. He loves Colorado.
Here are three words to describe my dad:
Motivating: I mentioned this in regards to sports above, but my dad pushed me to be the best I could be in everything I did. Whether that was school, band, or sports, I didn't have to be the best - I just had to do my best and my dad was proud.
Devoted: My dad is very devoted to his family. He gave up pursuing promotions at work in order to be a good family man. This meant he was very involved in our lives and supported us in all of our activities in and out of school. It's always been obvious that he wants the very best for his family.
Provider: My dad looks out for us. Financially, he has generously given and provided for me in more ways than I could ever thank him for. It has always somehow been understood that my dad will be there for us when we need him - both in large and small ways.
I am also incredibly thankful for having a wonderful father-in-law. I must take the opportunity and say a few things about him and the type of father figure he is in my life as well.
Committed: My father-in-law does everything 110% - whether it is working 12 hour days in his busy seasons and coming home exhausted, or spending 15 hours straight at Disneyland, he simply goes for it. He works hard, and he plays hard.
Spoiler: I couldn't come up with a better word for this, but my father-in-law loves to spoil his kids (including me) and grandkids. He loves to buy gifts, and even gets pure joy out of taking us to Costco to buy our favorite foods when we visit.
Jokester: He has a good sense of humor and enjoys lightening the mood. Some might call him corny, others would call him witty, but either way, he makes people laugh.
Once again, I couldn't be more thankful for the wonderful examples I have in a father and a father-in-law.
And, I'm thankful for the father of my children. More to come on him later.
No comments:
Post a Comment