Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Woo hoo 32!

My birthday came and went yesterday. It wasn't really too special of a day, but it was a good day.

It started out great - for some reason, Adele has thought her birthday was coming up and we should be having a birthday party for her. So when I told her it was my birthday, our conversation went like this:

Me: "Adele, it's my birthday today!"
Adele: "It's my birthday too!"
Me: "Oh really?"
Adele: "Yeah!!"
Me: "Well happy birthday to you!"
Adele: "Thanks Mommy! Happy birthday to you too!"

Both kids took good naps while I got some much-needed cleaning done, and both kids were in good moods. We had a very enjoyable dinner out at Olive Garden (thanks to Grandpa Hille for a gift card that arrived in the mail yesterday!), and to show that we don't eat out much, Adele was excited over everything:

"I got chocolate milk!" she told the waitress.
"My pizza!" she exclaimed to us.
"What is this??" she asked excitedly about the after-dinner mint.

We then headed over to Gigi's Cupcakes for some dessert. Adele came with me to pick out a few and called out (yelled) "SURPRISES!!" (One time she and David went out and got cupcakes and brought them home as a "surprise" - ever since then, cupcakes have been referred to as "surprises" by Adele.)

And finally, we ended the evening sitting around watching The Voice.

While we were out to eat, David and I started talking about how much our lives had changed in the last 2-3 years. It wasn't so long ago that we were living a very different life - in the rainforest, celebrating birthdays with college students studying abroad, traveling around Latin America just the two of us. It hit us last night how normal we seemed now. Family of 4, Olive Garden, sitting around watching a tv show. 

Sometime I'll analyze that more. For now, I'll go back to what I said in the beginning - my day wasn't extravagant, too out of the ordinary, or overly special. Some might call it normal. But it was good

Here's who I got to spend it with:




2 comments:

  1. I love you, sarah. and I love how you love your life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rawly calls all candles "happies" from when we sang him happy birthday on his 2nd b-day:)

    ReplyDelete