Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A quilting masterpiece

Two of my favorite hobbies are scrapbooking and quilting. I was able to take advantage of both of these activities while we lived in Costa Rica, since we had numerous months each year when it rained all day every day. Once we moved back to the States, I decided to let my crafty inner self emerge. Naturally, Pinterest helped fuel that craftiness. Christmas this past year was so fun as I was determined to make as many gifts as I could. I plan on doing more of that in the future, and will hopefully blog some of my favorite projects if they turn out decently.

This summer as we are traveling I have brought along a quilting project with me to work on. So far as an amateur quilter, I've stuck mainly to quilts and a few easier centerpieces made from scraps. Last summer, while we were still in Spokane, I took part in a "quilting retreat" with a couple of David's aunts, his sister, his mom, his mom's sister, and a friend of his mom's. We took on a tough project and did some marathon quilting, and came up with a sweet centerpiece. They turned out pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.


The way the project worked was that with the amount of fabric we purchased, it made two of these centerpieces. I paired up with Jordan (David's sister) and we each swapped a centerpiece, giving us two totally different centerpieces with different color combos and overall looks.

Last summer when we moved to Oklahoma, I used the car time to quilt my first centerpiece. I'm using this summer to quilt the second. I still have to finish quilting it an put the binding on. but it's fun seeing it finalize. If I was a more professional quilter, I would do a tutorial on some of my quilting projects. As it is, I still need help with most of my quilting endeavors. So, I'll leave you with my excitement and a picture over this particular project.

1 comment: